Pages

Wednesday, May 10, 2017

Review: Digital Fortress by Dan Brown

257953
Publication Date: 1st January 1998
Pages: 430
Source: Own Copy

Synopsis

When the NSA's invincible code-breaking machine encounters a mysterious code it cannot break, the agency calls its head cryptographer, Susan Fletcher, a brilliant and beautiful mathematician. What she uncovers sends shock waves through the corridors of power. The NSA is being held hostage...not by guns or bombs, but by a code so ingeniously complex that if released it would cripple U.S. intelligence.
Caught in an accelerating tempest of secrecy and lies, Susan Fletcher battles to save the agency she believes in. Betrayed on all sides, she finds herself fighting not only for her country but for her life, and in the end, for the life of the man she loves.
From the underground hallways of power to the skyscrapers of Tokyo to the towering cathedrals of Spain, a desperate race unfolds. It is a battle for survival--a crucial bid to destroy a creation of inconceivable genius...an impregnable code-writing formula that threatens to obliterate the post-cold war balance of power. Forever.

My Thoughts

This is my first ever Dan Brown book. I have only seen a few movies based on his works and so I had high expectations of a fast paced thriller which would make me sit on the edge on my seat until I get to the end, as normally books are far far better than books.

I have been in kind of a very bad reading slump and only very few books are easy and quick read for me. This was not one of those easy ones. I had to push myself to finish it, as it that been months since I finished an entire book so I really wanted to read this one till the end. It took me almost a month to finish this one. I am happy that I was able to reach the end and the end was not so bad. But, the story was really boring in middle and I had to really drag myself to keep reading.

The start was good. It began with the fancy talks of computers and crypto, a big secret government organization and its enemy, all was set up pretty good. For someone who studied crypto basics just to pass her exams, reading it here was exciting, being able to identify what the characters were talking about and seeing crypto being used in an amazing way (not as just another subject) made me curious about what will happen. For me, crypto was a living character in the book. This book has raised a bit of my interest in crypto.

Once when the basic plot was set and almost everything was introduced things started to get real slow. I really had to push myself every day to read just a few paragraphs if not few pages. I really wished that the next twist or reveal happen already. This was the downer for me. This almost had me leave this book in the middle.

The ending was good. The big reveal was a bit unexpected and a shocker for me.

It was an OK read. Did not live up to my expectation. Was not at all fast-paced thriller which could have got my heart pumping double time or did not made me sit at the edge of my seat even by the end of the book. I did not have even the slightest connection with the characters. Initially, a little bit of connection did begin to form which eventually died because of the dragging.

The only consolation was that I was able to get to the end of a book after so many days and that I finally read something by Dan Brown.


My rating: 3.5 of 5 stars
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from the visitors... :D

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.createthecut.com