Pages

Friday, October 21, 2016

Review: This Is Where It Ends by Marieke Nijkamp

24529123
Publication Date: 5th January 2016
Pages: 285
Source: e-book

Synopsis

10:00 a.m. The principal of Opportunity High School finishes her speech, welcoming the entire student body to a new semester and encouraging them to excel and achieve.

10:02 a.m. The students get up to leave the auditorium for their next class.

10:03 a.m. The auditorium doors won't open.

10:05 a.m. Someone starts shooting.

Told from four different perspectives over the span of fifty-four harrowing minutes, terror reigns as one student’s calculated revenge turns into the ultimate game of survival.


                

My Thoughts

Read it on 28th Jan 2016 but forgot to post my review here, so here's my review direct from my goodreads.

oh my god! I just can't stop crying. Why do people have to be so cruel, why do we humans have to make such dangerous inventions like weapons. why can't people be more open to communication? why don't they just TALK?
this book brought back all the questions. This book made me realise how horrified those people have been who have ever been in any such circumstances. This book made my heart ache! this makes me want to reach out to people like Ty in the book before they take the wrong turn in life, to hug them to tell them that it's OK to talk that u are taking it all wrong, that you are not alone and that there is someone always there for you.


Some Coherent thoughts after almost two weeks(I like to think they are coherent :P )

This is where it ends (TIWIE) was an engaging story.
Initially the juggling between more than 2povs proved challenging and even made me put down the book as a DNF once, few weeks later when it appeared again on my kindle I thought to give it another shot. I am glad that this time I made through the entire book.
Starting the book was tiring task as I just kept getting confused with those 4 POVs but once I was 15-20% into the book everything got easy and then the multiple POVs didn't bothered me et all. In fact for me multiple POVs was the highlight of the book. It was great to see thought multiple eyes as it allowed me to better know the situation and helped understanding the fears and reactions of everyone who were directly or indirectly facing that brutual attack.
It was intense, gripping and a page turner. I was glued to the story till the last word.

I had read the blurb before so knew it was about a school shooting and this has been the most inhuman disturbing reality of our world. The most close to home for me was the barbaric Peshawar school attack. This made me request the book as I wanted to know what's happens in such situations and multiple POVs was the perfect avenue to experience that. While reading the book I just couldn't stop crying when some of the scenes and students made me remember the innocent angels of Peshawar.
Initially in the story we are introduced to the people at Opportunity High their dreams hardships were gradually laid in front of the reader and a new session after winter break has just started. The incident takes place just after the first morning meeting in the school auditorium.

It was a sad novel as it was evident from blurb, it made me cry, made me think about the people who are dear to me and how I would have reacted if they were in same situation. It made me curse the human nature of not clearly communicating more with each other. It made me want to hug tight my brother and to hit those who don't consider other peoples dreams n desires.

All in all reading it was an experience that made me feel an entire range of emotions. I just wish that it had more story about the characters that it didn't had to be restricted to just those harrowing minutes but had taken us more into the lives of those involved so that it would have been clear to understand what led to the attack. Also it would have been awesome if it had the attackers point of view too.

My  Rating 3 out of 5
Follow on Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Love to hear from the visitors... :D

 
Design by Imagination Designs
Artwork by www.createthecut.com